As advanced as iPhones are, none of them are meant to last a lifetime. Apple is constantly upgrading and improving the hardware and software of its smartphone line, meaning that every few years, some models become obsolete.
Replacing your old iPhone with a new model gives you a chance to experience the cutting edge of modern mobile phone technology, and it keeps you from falling behind with hardware that is no longer supported.
Transferring Data From iPhone to iPhone on iOS 15
Because this process is so important, Apple makes it relatively easy to transfer your data from one iPhone to another. Here is how you can transfer your data to a new iPhone in iOS 15.
Where Is the “Transfer or Reset iPhone” Menu in iOS 15?
When you know you want to commit to a transfer between iOS devices, you start by going to the settings menu on your current device. Scroll down to the “Transfer or Reset iPhone” menu here to begin the process.
Moving Data on iCloud on iOS 15
One of the best ways to transfer your data to a new iPhone is to back all of your data up to iCloud. To perform a transfer via iCloud, follow these easy steps:
- Open the Settings app on your old iPhone.
- Click on your profile at the top of your screen.
- Select ‘iCloud.’
- Scroll through all of your apps to indicate which programs you want to be backed up on iCloud.
- If you want to make sure your data is automatically updated regularly, click ‘iCloud Backup’ so that it is set to ‘on.’ If you want your data immediately backed up, select ‘backup now.’
- At this point, you are ready to move to the new device. As you start up your new phone, click ‘set up manually’ and follow the prompts.
- When you get to the Data and Apps screen, select ‘restore from iCloud backup.’
- Sign in with your Apple ID and select the most recent backup.
After completing these steps, all you need to do is wait for the transfer to complete, at which point all of your apps should be reverted to the state they were in on your old iPhone device.
Why You Should Always Back Up Your Phone After a Data Transfer
It is always best practice to set up iCloud backups on your new device once you complete your data transfer. If you do not, then your most recent backup will be the state your phone was in when you had your previous device.
Automatic backups will mean that your new phone is always safe, and any updates made to your new hardware will be retained if you ever need to download a backup. If you do not do this, you could have to back up your new device with obsolete data, which could come with headaches on its own.
How Long Does Transferring Data to a New Phone Take?
The amount of time a transfer takes depends on your device and how much storage space you use, but in general, it should only take around five minutes. The base model for an iPhone 13 has 128GB of storage space, but upgraded models could have up to a terabyte.
With this in mind, your amount of data could influence the time it takes to complete a data transfer.
Using Quick Start To Transfer Data
Quick Start is a newer way to set up your new device, and it is a quick and easy way to ensure all of your data is successfully transferred. To use Quick Start, follow these steps:
- Make sure both your old and new devices are close to you.
- Turn on the new device and indicate that you want to use your Apple ID to set up the new phone.
- An animation will play on the new device, prompting you to take your old device and center it over the new one via the viewfinder.
- Select the ‘finish’ prompt and type in your password when prompted on the new device.
- When you get to the transfer data screen, follow the prompts to transfer your data to your new device.
After this, just make sure your devices are closed, and the process should go smoothly.
When Should You Use Apple’s Quick Start Feature?
If both devices are compatible with Quick Start, it makes sense to use the feature. The only requirement for Quick Start is that both devices be iOS 11 or later, which gives you a lot of flexibility when transferring your data.
If you know that you will have both devices available simultaneously, then Quick Start is the way to go. If you are unable to use both devices at the same time, it is best to make sure that you are keeping up with your iCloud backups.
Is Quick Start Easier Than Manual Data Transfer?
The benefit of Quick Start is that there are fewer steps involved in completing the process, and it requires very little preparation. All you have to do is point your old phone at your new phone, and you are set to go.
A manual data transfer is still a safe option for people who want to micromanage every single piece of data that moves to your new phone, but the average person will have no problem using Quick Start to complete the transfer.
Getting Temporary iCloud Storage
If you get a new device and you do not have enough storage space on iCloud for a backup, Apple has a way for you to temporarily boost your iCloud storage.
Here is how it works:
- Go to ‘General’ in the settings app.
- Tap the ‘Transfer or Reset’ tab.
- Select ‘Prepare for new [Device]’ and tap ‘Get started.’
- If you do not have enough iCloud storage, you will see a message saying you are eligible for a free iCloud upgrade. Select ‘continue.’
- Wait for the backup to complete.
This temporary iCloud boost will let you easily complete your transfer without paying for more storage space. This gives you some wiggle room if you are unsure how much iCloud space you are willing to pay for.
That being said, it will be important to gauge how important a full backup will be to you once you have your new device, as the storage increase is temporary.
Transferring your data is important, and Apple gives you various ways to do it. Whether you need more storage or a quicker transfer option, Apple has you covered.
Before you think about how you want to transfer your data, you need to make sure you are getting the right phone for you. Use Navi to shop the wireless market to make sure you make the right decisions for your needs. Navi lets you explore all the best phones and phone plans, and it helps you choose the right device for you.
Navi provides you with industry insight and tips and tricks that make sure you are never overpaying. Once you have your new iPhone, you can rest assured that your data transfer will be quick and painless.